Tuesday, May 5, 2009

On Being Funny… or not




I got an observation through a friend that the Martin Family blog isn’t really all that funny. See, I’m known for being the funny guy. Well, let’s back that up. I think with the certain group of friends that read this book I might actually fill several roles. I’ll list them. Feel free to correct or interject as the case may be.

Roles:

Funny Guy
Slightly better at video games guy
The fatter one 
The bigger one 
The “why doesn’t he make more money?” one
The “he will show up when needed” one

How do I do all this? Not sure. Not even slightly sure. Throughout my mid 20s I was nasty sarcastic. I believe this was due in large part to my large ex wife. I was not a very happy or content person. Consequently, any moron who thought to have words with me quickly found themselves shutting up due to a shear acerbically bitter diatribe. Most other people found it funny… they weren’t wrong most times. However, after losing a few good people to this kind of ‘wit,’ I decided that it was best retired or at least used very sparingly.

I really should apologize and send a big thank you to all the ex girlfriends who left me due to this as well. I think without the exes that my wife and I would not get along half as well on a day to day basis. Take for instance last night. My wife was doing some dishes and cleaning up when I made a seemingly innocuous comment about nesting.

This lead to my wife asking the question, “Why is it when I do the same things I did before tax season that you feel the need to comment on it?” I’m not exactly sure what I said back but it was along the lines of being barefoot (she is whenever she can be cuz that’s how she rolls) and pregnant in the kitchen cleaning. Seriously, how much more of a setup for the spike do you need?! I am fairly certain that I was immediately hit and called a butthole. Yes, we use the word butthole. Why? Because motherf*cker is entirely too funny these days considering we are on kid #2.

Back to the ramblings, in answer to her above question I could have said something like “the very fact that you notice it as things you did BEFORE tax season should clue you in about how long ago you did them and we saw them.” That would have gotten me yelled and hurt her feelings but I could have said it in such a way that people looking in on it would have laughed ass.

All this has been leading to this. I have to be very careful about what I think is funny and how I present it on this blog. I am in danger of being killed by my wife at a moments notice for silly stuff like using the wrong packet of seasoning and delaying dinner. You don’t know what that stress is like unless you are a man of a pregnant wife.

Game demos got played a lot last night.

Wolverine – Better than the movie
Red Faction: guerilla – O hells ya.

Reading has slowed down a bit due to time constraints. Eisenhorn is still very good and starting to pick up.

0 comments on "On Being Funny… or not"

Post a Comment

 

Martin Family Blog Copyright 2008 All Rights Reserved Baby Blog Designed by Ipiet | All Image Presented by Tadpole's Notez